With spring now in full swing, many families are currently planning their big summer road trips. Whether you plan to drive along the entire Pacific Coast, go across the country to visit family or are just heading a few hours away, it always helps to know your car is ready for the journey. After all, summer can pose its own challenges for cars and drivers alike, and nothing is more important than your family’s safety. Fortunately, your auto mechanic in Bellevue, WA is here to help. Here are six tips for a fun and safe summer road trip:
- Cooling systems: Your car actually has two cooling systems: the one that keeps your engine cool, and the one that keeps the driver and passengers cool (also called an air conditioner). These systems are both equally important, as together they keep your car from overheating, and keep your family from developing heatstroke. Make sure both are in top shape before you hit the road.
- Tires: In the heat of summer, tire resistance and pressure can easily get thrown out of whack. Having your tires checked early and often during the hot months will help prevent your tires from bursting on the road. You should also make sure your tires are properly rotated before embarking on a long trip.
- Suspension: Suspension and steering are key to keeping you moving in the right direction. If your suspension or steering is even a bit off, you could find yourself in an auto accident. Even if your suspension and steering feel just fine, it is still a smart idea to ask your auto mechanic in Bellevue, WA to look things over before a big road trip.
- Oil changes: Oil helps keep your engine lubricated, which can prevent overheating and other serious problems. But during times of high heat, your oil might need to be changed more frequently. Remember, it is always better to be overly cautious, so getting an oil change right before your trip is probably the right move.
- Transmission: Just like an engine can get overheated in summer, so can a transmission. Your car’s owner’s manual probably includes some advice on when to have your transmission checked. Even if you still have a little wiggle room, there is nothing wrong with having it checked a little early in preparation for summer driving.
- Drive safely: Once you have every part of your car carefully checked and serviced by your auto mechanic in Bellevue, WA, it is time to hit the road! When driving in unfamiliar places, it becomes even more important that you practice smart and safe driving habits. That means no checking your map or phone while in the driver’s seat, always signaling when you merge and knowing your general route before turning the engine on.
If you follow the above guidelines, then your summer road trip ought to be memorable for all the right reasons. For more information on summer maintenance, or to schedule an appointment, please get in touch with Eastside German Motors, LLC today.