Of all the different functions you rely on your car to perform, braking might be one of the most basic and important—which is why it can be so disconcerting when you experience problems with your brakes. If you put in the proper maintenance, brakes tend to be one of the most reliable parts of the car. But once you do experience brake issues, it is imperative that you invest in brake repair in Bellevue, WA as soon as possible. Here are the main tell-tale signs that you are due for brake maintenance, repair or replacement from a trusted mechanic:
- Strange noises: Whether it is a high-pitched squeaking noise or a more guttural grinding sound, unusual sounds coming from your brakes are never a good sign. They could indicate that your brake pads are starting to wear, or that they have worn through completely already. An experienced, fully certified mechanic should be able to assist with
effective brake repair in Bellevue, WA.
- Trouble steering: Whenever your car seems to have a mind of its own, it is probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic check it out. If your car tends to pull to the left or right when you are driving or braking, you could have a stuck caliper in your braking system. This could also be a sign of poor tire alignment or a suspension issue. Whatever the problem may be, you will want to act fast to avoid a dangerous driving situation.
- Shaking: If you feel vibrations when driving that cannot be explained away by the thumping bass of your car radio, then it might be time for a brake check. As with most brake issues, this problem has worn brake pads at its root. Worn brake pads result in warped rotors, which will then vibrate whenever you press down on them to brake. You’ll want to have a professional check out this problem soon after you discover it, in order to avoid further damage.
- Changing sensitivity: Do you find yourself needing to press down much harder on your brakes before your car will stop? Conversely, does it sometimes feel as if your brakes are overly sensitive to your touch? Either one of these issues can be much more than an inconvenience; they can also be signs that there is a problem with your brake pedal, or that you have dirty or leaking fluid in your brakes. Have an ASE certified mechanic check this out as soon as you notice it.
- Time since last check: Even if your car’s brakes seem to be working perfectly, it might still be a good idea to have them looked at if it has been over a year since your last brake check. Often, initial damage can start to occur before you notice any problems, and many people who neglect proper brake maintenance end up regretting it in the long run. Scheduling a thorough brake check about once a year should keep you and your wallet safe.
If you need—or suspect you need—brake repair in Bellevue, WA, please visit Eastside German Motors, LLC or give us a call anytime.